Minimal MPD music visualizer, based on curses. Works by reading the fifo output of an MPD instance.
ncurses and GCC (or another C99 compatible compiler).
Optional: libmpdclient to display current status (song / elapsed time / etc).
The fifo output of MPD needs to be enabled. To do so, simply place this in your mpd.conf:
Clone the repo:
git clone https://fragal.eu/git/fra/mvc
Build with status display (requires libmpdclient):
Note: without libmpdclient installed, this is equivalent to 'make nostatus'.
Build without status display (without libmpdclient):
Install (to /usr/local/bin/):
sudo make install
An instance of MPD must be running for mvc to work.
From a console / terminal emulator:
- Quitting: q.
- Change drawing mode (style): Space bar
- Move status panel (if built with libmpdclient): up / down / left / right keys
- Reset status panel position: r
- Toggle status display: t
- Print help: h
settings.h allows the configuration of:
- Host, Port, Timeout and DB location of the mpd instance
- Timeout for the connection to mpd to fail
- Number of samples taken each read
- Adaptive sampling on / off: whether to adapt the number of samples to the current sample rate. Might give fairly accurate results with high rates (> 96000 Hz)
- Location of the MPD named pipe (fifo) from which mvc reads.
- Seconds in between each status refresh
- Niceness: number of reads to be skipped cyclically (reduces load on the cpu)
- Y_Correction: integer value to be subtracted to the components in case the height of the screen wasn't sufficient
- X_Correction: lateral shift in case the visualized spectrum is not perfectly aligned with the center of the screen.